Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Love's a Bitch

The movie Amores Perros was an amazing film. I loved that it had all the stories tie together at some point. It really demonstrated the idea of what a small world it is. I agree with what Julie said in class about how the stories jumping around and tying together was somewhat like the movies Crash and Pulp Fiction.

The stories themselves were very real. I actually liked that none of them really had a happy ending and that the endings themselves were left somewhat open.

It was a very heart-wrenching movie. I was especially affected by the whole dog fighting portion. I was almost in tears during all of those scenes. I was also really bothered by Ramiro cheating on his wife. I think him cheating on Susana bothered me more than Susana cheating on him because he was also abusive to Susana. The movie was definitely filmed in a way that you really feel for all the characters at some point. That also made everything very real, because bad things happen to everybody; maybe not to the extent of the characters in this film, but they happen nonetheless.

I liked the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) biblical touches in the movie, such as the hit man referring to the two brothers as Cain and Abel.

As I mentioned in class, I was a little confused about how the dog, Richie, survived under the floor boards for so long. I was also curious as to why he couldn’t get himself out and why they left chocolate out for him. Chocolate kills dogs! Also, if there were as many rats as Valeria said there were, I’m pretty sure that chocolate would have been eaten at some point.

The entire movie was awesome however, I loved it.

1 comment:

Manuel said...

There is definitely a similarity between "Pulp Fiction" and "Amores Perros." However, as you mentioned in your comments this film stirs your feelings in a different way and make you think about those depressing open endings.

Religion, and here I agree with you, plays a big part in this film even if it is as an allegory of what happens to the characters.