Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Wind Will Carry Us

I have read in a couple of reviews that Abbas Kiarostami's films have a general theme of journeying or searching and The Wind Will Carry Us is no exception. Behzad physically journeying to the town and the whole “finding himself and becoming a better person” mindset was apparent.

The scenery I think was the most interesting part. It was like a postcard or painting. I also found the references to the Iranian poems were also interesting. I also read in a couple of separate reviews that the poems were never censored in Iran. This surprised me after learning about the extreme censorship in that country.

As I said before in the forum from class, I realize that they’re documenting the mourning rituals, but the whole idea of waiting for the old woman to die seemed cynical to me.

The cell phone bit I believe was a reference to today’s enslavement of people by technology. He had to drop everything he was doing and drive miles away to a freaking mountain to get a signal! That just sucks.

Maybe one of my problems is I am generally not a fan of movies with deep hidden meanings and open endings. I usually go to the movies to relax and simply chill. Perhaps if I had had a different mindset in watching the movie I would have enjoyed it more. I realize it is an art form to film in that way, but the seeming uneventful-ness and droning on was slightly irritating and made the movie dull in my eyes.

I felt “blah” about this movie. I did not like it, but I liked it better than Underground.

No comments: